Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Out and about

Since my last post was so wordy, this will be pictures from my daily walks. 
Impromptu street musicians one Friday afternoon

I think they were singing folk songs and this sweet little old lady really got into it.  









eggs anyone? 

Street vendor
I did ask permission to take her picture and wish now I had given her more money for her tissues.  These vendors are not too common. 












Remember the Christmas song, "chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." well, here is the real deal.  Of course I had to try some and I can now say, done that. Not my favorite. 

Hatti Monument. 
Built in the 1970s on Sıhhiye Square, (downtown Ankara) this impressive monument symbolizes the Hatti gods and commemorates Anatolia's earliest known civilization. The symbol derived from this monument has been used as the logo of the city for a long time. (Wikipedia) 





There are numerous stray dogs roaming the city streets.  If there is a good side, I've noticed is none of them seem to be starving.  Makes me sad though. 




Simet
This is a Simet.  It is a baked, chewy type pretzel covered with sesame seeds - a popular snack for breakfast or afternoon tea.  Very tasty. 










They can be purchased from a Simet Cafe or a cart for TL$0.75/~$0.33US



Have Simets will travel and he just sets up his portable shop on the sidewalk. 













I'm not exactly sure what this guy does but you see several of them around
Aryan taste test 
 I should have added to this to my last post when I talked about Aryan, the drink.
Blecckk!  

 I also realized when I said no American brands, I was wrong, there are a few.  Of course Coca Cola, worldwide, like McDonalds. Also orange Fanta. Doritos in 3 flavors: Taco, Nacho cheese and some Spicy Hot Chili?  Pringles, which was a nice surprise and several Lays flavors.   Activia yogurt, Snickers and Twix candy bars, and Heinz ketsup are the major ones that come to mind.   Also numerous shampoos and conditioners but the writing is in Turkish.  I also remembered a few more items to add to the cannot-find category: chocolate chips, ranch dressing and American Peanut Butter. We found one small little bottle of a Turkish brand that suffices in a pinch.  There seems to be plenty of a Hazelnut butter. We have yet to try it. 
I also forgot to mention: those Fast Food places I mentioned, and many restaurants - deliver. No Joke. Young men on scooters that weave in and out of traffic like maniacs, driving on sidewalks even! 
Turkish word for the day: dondurma = ice cream; which, if you know me, is an important vocabulary word to know.  :) 

No comments: