Friday, March 18, 2011

A quiet February, family update and some Southern humor

I was recovering from some minor surgery in January so spent a quiet month here at home being crafty and enjoying my kittens, who are growing like weeds!
I finished my 2010 cross stitch
Christmas ornament.
I also made 2 more stars for my Moon Glow quilt. 5 done and 8 more to go.







Elder Woodward continues to serve in the Gridley Zone and Stake; he was made a District Leader this month; which means he supervises 5 other missionaries in his area. You can check out the mission blog at: http://californiarosevillemission.blogspot.com for occasional pics of Alex. On the right under Transfer board, you can see a small picture of his companion, Elder Grover.

Roy continues to work in Gladstone right now. Here is the view from his patio where he is staying, so you can have a glimpse of the town. The large cranes in the background are part of the huge deep water port. He reports it continues to be very hot and very humid as summer winds down.

To close, an attempt at humor.....
Yes, Texas is in the South, but as far I know, they consider themselves "Texans" rather than Southerners. Recently a friend sent me a funny email about Southern women and Southerners, and as I have learned, many of them also apply to Texans, I will include a few.

Southern women know their summer weather report:
Humidity
Humidity and
more Humidity

Southern women know the movies that speak to their hearts:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Driving Miss Daisy
Steel Magnolias
Gone With the Wind (except for me; cannot watch that movie - I loathe Scarlett!!! )

Southern women know their elegant gentlemen:
Men in uniform
Men in tuxedos
Rhett Butler (now I like him! )

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines,...... and when we're "in line," ..... we talk to everyone!

In the South, y'all is singular, all y'all is plural. (and everyone uses this term, lettme tell you!)

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad.
If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'! (what is it with the South and banana pudding?!! )

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 mph on the freeway.
You just say, "Bless her heart"..... and go your way.

No comments: