Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Speaking Aussie #2

I am a little under the weather - some kind of wonderful Australian flu :( so here's your Aussie English lesson for this week.

Shops = store: grocery, or corner market or at the Mall
boot = car trunk
carpark = parking garage or parking lot
sausage = hot dog
mobile (pronounced mo-bile) = cell phone
give you a ring = call you on the telephone
rubbish = garbage
icy pole = Popsicle
lollies = any kind of candy
a sweet = dessert (I think, pretty sure)

Guys (or blokes) frequently call each other "mate". Women might address another woman (e.g. female customers call the checkout girls) as"luv" or "darlin". You will often hear the term "no worries", which I think I've finally figured out to mean; "got it, or thanks, or you're welcome and/or see ya".

I forgot to mention; in New Zealand, you don't go hiking on trails, you go "tramping" on "treks". and tramping is a very popular past time over there; short treks or long treks over several days. You see young people with backpacks or older people on organized expeditions that stay in small motels at night.
The countryside is so beautiful - think of all that incredible scenery in Lord of the Rings - you want to go tramping there; put it on your Bucket List.

1 comment:

Wagner's said...

Their words for things are so much more FUN than ours!!!! I love it.