Thursday, September 4, 2008

Speaking Aussie or "Strine"

Ok, here's your first lesson in speaking Aussie english

sultana = raisen
biscuit = cookie
capsicum = green or red pepper
nappy = diaper
toilet or dunny = restroom
jumper = sweater
footpath = sidewalk
tin = can
queue= form a line, stand in line

Two words never to use in polite company: fanny and root. Trust me on this one.

You know you're Australian if:

You think "Woolloomooloo" is a perfectly reasonable name for a place.
You believe it makes sense for a country to have a $1 coin that's twice as big as its $2 coin.
You understand that the phrase "a group of women wearing black thongs" refers to women wearing footwear and may be less alluring as it sounds.

4 comments:

The Wagner's said...

I love it! Sounds like you are learning all kinds of new things!

H. said...

I guess I'm old-fashioned because I still think of footwear when I hear "thongs".

Darcy said...

When I was in high school my parents hired a nanny from Australia to watch my little sisters and we had so much fun teasing her on her vocabulary words!

Cindy Jensen said...

Deb, got your postcard today. Glad to hear that you are doing well. Your house looks beautiful. I would love to see more pictures. David would love to be working at the zoo -- that is so cool for Alex. It sounds like you guys are having tons of new adventures and lots of fun. This is a good way to keep up with you guys. We have a blog too if you want to check out what is new with us now and then. jensens101.blogspot.com