"The Melbourne Cup is Australia's major annual thoroughbred horse race. Billed as The race that stops a nation, it is for three-year-olds and over, and covers a distance of 3,200 metres. It is generally regarded as the most prestigious "two-mile" handicap in the world. The event is held on the first Tuesday in November by the Victoria Racing Club, on the Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne. "
Like the Kentucky Derby, race day is all about fashion and hats. again from Wikopedia:"'Fashions On The Field' is a major focus of the day, with substantial prizes awarded for the best-dressed male and female racegoers. The requirement for elegant hats, and more recently the alternative of a fascinator, almost single-handedly keeps Melbourne's milliners in business."
Now there's a new word for you, or maybe you know what a 'fascinator' is. I sure didn't!
Needless to say, of course Alex and I watched 'the race'. It was a huge field - 22 horses with a very exciting photo finish. the winner, Viewed, won $3.3 million dollars AUD by 'a nose'. literally inches.
and the betting! I've heard that almost every workplace had "sweeps" betting pools. The winner was a long shot, 40 -1, so if you picked him, you would be very happy right now.Mr. Bart Cummings, a legendary trainer and his horses have won this race 12 times; wow!
The Aussies are especially happy because an Australian horse won and beat the "foreign invasion".
Yes, I know the horse in front legs' looks funny. it's the speed photography. pretty close, huh?
Do you think I'm kidding about everybody watching this race? I've heard of dentists and doctors not scheduling patients yesterday afternoon for an hour; work places and even some schools listened on the radio or watched on the Internet; and employers just accept this, after all, they want to watch too! Race day is a state holiday in 2 Australian states: Victoria and ACT (Australian Capital Territory). Do you know how many states there are in Auz? there may be quiz later.........
No comments:
Post a Comment