Sunday, November 20, 2011

Elder Woodward update

Alex continues to love his mission; do you think we'll be able to get him to come home in a little over 6 months? Wow! Time is flying!
He is still in the Antelope area, which is a northern suburb of Sacramento. It is amusing to sometimes think that he is currently serving within 20 miles of the hospital where he was born and a 45 minute drive from where he lived until he was 15 years old. Hey, Vintage Park Ward friends, does that staircase look familiar? As I said before, one of his current buildings is a twin to the building we attended for years in South Sacramento.
As with most missionaries, he is doing lots of service for anyone - members, non-members, investigators, inactives, you name it. This is a part of one of his letters last month:
Saturday was a day of Service. We started at 9 in the morning by helping Sis. G put up a new back fence. It was really fun (at this point Elder Gardner (his companion has a hurt foot) had the boot so he couldnt do much other then sit in a chair and supervise, and I enjoyed working with some of the good fun Ward members to put it up. At first we didnt have a nail gun so we did the first dozen or so slats "Amish Style" (hammer and nails) as Bro. T. put it. I was working with Brother Chad B, the Sunday School President, and we were the main slat attaching team. I gave him his nails, dug out a trench for the boards to all fit even, and we talked and joked the whole time. After the first dozen though we got a nail gun. The funny thing is that it wouldn't shoot a nail everytime, sometimes it'd only shoot air. So Sis. G's fence has quite a few extra spots in it (they don't go all the way through) due to the compressed air gun being so strong lol. After we finished with that we headed over to Sis. A.'s because she was being evicted from her home. She was moving up North to Redding with her daughter and son-in-law. It was an interesting move because she lived ina trailer but had a lot of big heavy things in there. So when we first showed up I realized that we needed a heavy lifting squad (the Elder's Quorum all bailed!!! Bishop H. himself showed up, and us, but no other males from the Ward!!) so I called up Bro. Chad B. The call was kinda funny as it went "Hello?" "Hey Chad, what are you up to? Are you laying down yet?" "Hehehe, yeah, why? What's up?" "You ready for round 2?" "With what?" "Sis. A. has moved and everyone else in the quorum bailed and I need some extra muslce cuz there's not very much stuff but there's some big heavy stuff." Chad agreed and showed up 10 minutes later. It's really cool to see how willing Ward members are to help each other and us, even when called on a Saturday morning after having an already long and strenuous morning. I've decided I want to be a member like that in the future, when I get home.
(names edited and emphasis added). We were thrilled and very proud to hear of his resolve. There are so many reasons Missions are great, and this is one of them.
He recently enjoyed a "sweet" ride in a member's sports car on a P-day and above, a recent baptism.

1 comment:

Marika said...

Debi, It is hard for me to believe that Alex has already been serving for a year and a half. Thank you so much for sharing part of his letter, and for the updates that you post. I'm glad to see that he is doing well!