| YUCK!!! |
| Didn't try it. |
| For fried green tomatoes of course |
| fresh okra |
At the local grocery store:
I looking at the bananas and a woman said, "oh these look perfect for banana pudding!" I have been sadly lacking in my Southern hospitality as I have yet to make banana pudding, which is a Texas and Southern favorite.
I asked the clerk where the broccoli was? She answered: "right over there under the collard greens". Ahhhh right, like I know what those look like!
A few words about the scourge of the South: Kudzu
Kudzu was introduced from Japan into the United States at the Japanese pavilion in the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia.[19] It is now common along roadsides and other disturbed areas[29] throughout most of the southeastern United States. Estimates of its rate of spreading differ wildly; it has been described as spreading at the rate of 150,000 acres (610 km2) annually,[30] although in 2015 the United States Forest Service estimated the rate to be only 2,500 acres per year.[31]
Kudzu's environmental and ecological damage results from acting through "interference competition", meaning it outcompetes other species for a resource. Kudzu competes with native flora for sunlight, and acts to block their access to this vital resource by growing over them and shading them with its leaves. Native plants may then die as a result.[27] (Thank you Wiki)
| Here it comes! This is within 3 days of the new trail being paved. |
It's harvest time and we saw two different important crops being cut, baled, turned over .....I was pretty jazzed to actually see these two crops harvested. The farmers probably thought these people watching were very strange.
Peanuts!
Harvesting occurs in two stages: In mechanized systems, a machine is used to cut off the main root of the peanut plant by cutting through the soil just below the level of the peanut pods. The machine lifts the "bush" from the ground and shakes it, then inverts the bush, leaving the plant upside down on the ground to keep the peanuts out of the soil. This allows the peanuts to dry slowly to a little less than a third of their original moisture level over a period of three to four days. Traditionally, peanuts were pulled and inverted by hand.
After the peanuts have dried sufficiently, they are threshed, removing the peanut pods from the rest of the bush. It is particularly important that peanuts are dried properly and stored in dry conditions.
Roy and I ate a raw peanut and it tastes like a pea, makes sense seeing they are a member of the legume family.
Cotton!


No comments:
Post a Comment