I can hardly believe it but Alex turned 21 years old a few weeks ago. This is what he wrote about his second birthday out in the mission field.
"Today so far my birthday has been a good one. We went out to breakfast this morning with the 3rd Ward Elders at the Brick House Cafe, had our apartment checked, went to District Meeting, and then went to lunch at the Chinese place. While there the little waitress lady was told that it was my birthday. When one of the Elders asked if I got anything for my birthday she looked at the Elder and then turned to me and said "Happy Birthday" and that was it. We all laughed and I was fine with it. But then after the meal was over the three waitresses came out of the kitchen with a plate. Int he center of the plate was an orange half with a candle in it, and then cut orange slices standing upright around the center piece. They all started to sing to me, and the Elders joined in too. So that was really fun, and I loved it. I've never had an "orange" cake before, that's for sure :). "
Elder Woodward's days in the mission field are numbered so everyone - including Alex- was surprised to learn he was being transferred one last time. Here is what he had to say about his new area and General Conference:
Hello everyone, and good morning from Roseville, California! It is interesting to actually (and finally) be serving in my Mission's namesake city. It is a beautiful city (at least this part of it) with alot to do, and some very friendly people. It's been raining most of this past week, from Transfer day and on. Thankfully the member that gave me a ride here had a good sized truck so none of my important
stuff got wet. We haven't gotten too wet this week, other then Saturday night, but I'll tell about that in a moment. My new apartment is a good place and ideally situated in our area. And I have a washer and dryer in my apartment again, and that is always pleasant, not having to pay for laundry or going somewhere to do it. My new companion is Elder M. He has been out approximately 8 months and is from Sandy, UT. He's a good guy, a hard worker, and we're getting along well.
Wasn't General Conference magnificent? I LOVED it! My favorite talks were President Uchtdorf's Sunday morning talk, Elder Perry, the Sister who spoke Saturday morning, Elder Scott, the Scottish Elder from the 70 who spoke on Saturday, and Elder Holland, I had a lot of favorites, but that's never a bad thing! We watched Saturday morning and afternoon sessions at the Church building with other Missionaries.
Between the Saturday sessions we had a dilemna. We wanted to get lunch, but our ride to the building (our ZL's) left us to go to lunch with some other missionaries. So we were stranded in the building
with 4 other missionaries, all of us starving, and it was pouring rain outside. There was a Subway nearby that we decided that we could go to, but we couldn't find a ride, nor could we find umbrellas anywhere. What did we do? I found a roll of trash bags in the kitchen and made a poncho! Everyone else followed suit and we marched out into the rain and to the Subway 5 minutes away. We probably looked like quite the interesting troupe, but we stayed dry and thus it was fun.
and who says the Young Men don't learn anything in Scouts?
I so wish I could thank each and every one of the members in the California Roseville Mission that have helped my son in so many small and sometime large ways, from meals and rides to birthday cakes. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
It has made me doubly aware of how I should be a better help to the missionaries in our Ward.
About those days in the mission field being numbered? ahhhhh, 27 to be exact. But who's counting? Gee, I wonder...... LOL!

No comments:
Post a Comment