| A pretty girl in the Texas State flower: Blue bonnets |
When I returned from Virginia I brought Scout home with me for visit. We started a tradition that when the grandchildren turn eight years old, we will have them come to Houston for a week with Mema and hopefully Grandpa. Being our oldest grandchild, Scout was the guinea pig for this new adventure! We are also a little behind as Scout will be nine in six weeks. One of my favorite mottos: better late than never!
Unfortunately Grandpa had to work and wasn't here, so it was just Scout and me; we had a great week together! She is a brave and easy traveler; on one flight (we changed planes in Tampa FL), we didn't sit together and she just read her book or drew some sketches. She is a voracious reader, very handy. Me: "Let's take a reading break"...... Scout: "OK"! :) My library of childhood favorites came in very handy. I think she read 4 books while she was here. She definitely inherited the love-to-read gene from both sides of the family.
We drove to San Antonio to visit the Alamo and ride the River Walk boats. The next day was a very fun day at Sea World. Scout rode the Steel Eel roller coaster all by herself! TWICE!!! We also enjoyed feeding the dolphins, and seal lions, as well as watching the Shamu, sea lion and dolphin shows. We had perfect Spring weather: not too hot.
| At the Alamo |
![]() |
| San Antonio Riverwalk |
| Sea World |
| They are very smooth but have lots of sharp teeth! |
| Shamu |
| One brave girl! |
| Too cute penguins |
![]() |
| sea lions |
At home we enjoyed walking Rio in the mornings and watching old Disney movies in the evenings. I taught her to cross stitch on a small beginner Butterfly kit. Brought back memories to teaching her mother and Aunt. She also made friends with my cats and loved our large LoveSac.
| Scout and Jack |
| Scout and Rio |
![]() |
| at the Houston Temple |
I so enjoyed having Scout here and it was hard to put her back on that airplane to return home. It was a harried tense couple of hours at the Houston Bush Airport that morning; come to find out the United telephone ticket agent shouldn't have sold me that particular ticket. WHAT?!! Thank goodness for the United ticket agent at their counter who went above and beyond to get her on another flight home. I wish had gotten his name.
As a side note: for all of TSA's regulations, I was amazed that only one clerk asked Scout her name, much less questioning this child who I was and was she happy to come with me? A major flaw I think.



No comments:
Post a Comment