Wednesday, January 1, 2014

BIG changes

So it started back in August and I don't remember exactly who contacted whom first but the long and the short of it is that in September, Roy rejoined Bechtel and his new assignment is in Ankara, Turkey. The project he will be working on is the Trans-Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP), which is a proposed  56" natural gas pipeline from Azerbaijan through Turkey into Europe. Bechtel is building the pipeline section across Turkey 1800 km (1200 miles) -  Roy will be the ES&H (environmental, safety and health) manager.


See the project website:  http://www.tanap.com/en/ 
Roy left Darwin a few weeks after I did, spent 5 days in Houston and flew to Ankara on Sept 25th. By the end of October, he had rented a small apartment and after a little game of hide and seek, found the small Ankara Branch of the Church.  I will join him full-time after the wedding.  
 We will keep our house in Houston while Rio and Gus go live with Ashlee and Alex in Idaho. 
We did not make this decision lightly or quickly.  Much prayer and thought - weighing pros and cons many times over, were involved.  One does not move 6,000 miles away from children and grandchildren just for the fun of it.  As we have looked back over the years with the clear vision of hindsight, at the job changes and where we have lived, we know there was a reason and that the Lord had a hand in it. So we are thinking that the Lord wants us in Turkey. Why? We know not, but will trust that He does. 
We are both sad to leave Australia; we loved our time there and hope to return someday. We have yet to explore Western Australia and I would love to ride the Indian Pacific railroad from Sydney to Perth.  Advance Australia Fair  or  AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE!!!!
I've probably mentioned this before, but almost 38 years ago on our wedding announcements we quoted the following verse in the Old Testament:
.... for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge:.... Ruth 1.16
Little did I know the good Lord would take me seriously on what I thought was a wildly romantic thought. 
So I guess the name of my blog has turned out to be good choice.  Stay tuned for this next chapter and adventure in our lives. 


No comments: